I enjoy using pelican so for so much. However, few issues hit my mind recently:
- Medium is such a nice place to write that I can merely resist my temptation;
- There is no ability to run person search across the static website;
- I’m tied to UNIX environment in order to run the Pelican development server for preview.
I recalled a great quote:
Once you say you’re going to settle for second, that’s what happens to you in life.
—John F. Kennedy
So I decided to see if it’s possible to resolve all of that issues for me.
Once I started to look closer at Medium, I started to realized that 90% of jealousy will be solved by simply getting nice-looking fonts.
Fonts used by Medium:
What I used instead:
- Slab Serif fonts on FontSquirrel
- Arvo on FontSquirrel
- KLINIC SLAB
- 28 Free Slab Serif Fonts
- 10 Beautiful and Free Slab Serif Fonts
Some fonts are not provided web-friendly format. FontSqirell’s WebFont Generator is designed to solve this issue.
Oh, yeah, Medium promises true WISIWIG. Learn RST, bitch!
Running Pelican on Windows
In order to use it, you need to install few packages build for you by 3rd parties:
Then you can run pip install -r requirements.txt with Administrator priviledges.
Then, depending on your template, you might need to replace the date/time format only available under UNIX with a generic one (See strftime directives).